A ride of approx 63k / 39 miles along scenic minor roads with only a few short sections of main road. Mainly flat tarmac (95%) with only a few short hills and a few short tracks. A hybrid would be ideal but a road bike should also be OK. Highlights of the trip below in bold.
Directions to parking
From the M6 heading south: Get off at junction 19, go around the roundabout across the motorway(note the huge roadworks) and after 750 metres turn left for Knutsford. As you arrive at the small roundabout in the town turn left then after about 500 metres past the green on your left, take the next left and you’re on Tabley Road. Park on the roadside next to the “The Heath”, a green area OS ref: SJ 746 790 or https://what3words.com/staging.lordship.proposals or WA16 0NE
- We ride through Tatton Park and at the northern exit turn right onto a minor road that leads to Ashley.
- We then turn right towards Mobberley.
- There are many picturesque houses along the minor roads in Mobberley as we head to Knolls Green
- Then through Marthall and a dip into the small but picturesque valley past Bate Mill
- We are now very close to Jodrell Bank and we take a short detour to get some good views of the radio telescope.
- Then there is about 300 metres of main road before we head to Lower Withington
- Turning south we arrive at Swettenham and a welcome lunch break at the Swettenham Arms, a delightful pub serving all manner of food and drink. This is a memorable spot.
- For road traffic this is a dead end but as we leave after lunch we cycle along a very picturesque lane over the river Dane.
- Crossing the main road we skirt around Brereton Heath then along a track to Brereton Green.
- Following the country lane to the NW we ride through a housing estate into the centre of Holmes Chapel.
- Heading north down a track into a valley and over the river Dane again, the route takes us to Goostrey, Boots Green and Lower Peover.
- Here there is a break at “The Tree of Imagination” a unique and richly decorated tree on a road junction.
- The final section takes up through Plumley Moor back to the Knutsford.